Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lenten Obligation


Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!
Last night at Cape Girardeau's nice grocery store, I was reminded that the Catholic community in the city is alive and well. The store is offering Lenten specials on seafood and even had King Cakes (with the baby shamefully placed on the outside of the cake) for sale in the bakery section. This brings me to ask the reader: What should I give up for Lent? I'm not Catholic but was brought up Episcopalian, the other church that honors Lent with nice soup lunches and dreary music. I haven't been to a church in years, probably since the last Bach around the Clock concert in 2003. So I'm not a religious person anymore but I still observe Lent, maybe to test my will power more than anything else. I gave up chocolate and ice cream every year as a child, but I don't eat either enough to justify giving it up. I don't smoke, eat junk food, participate in illegal activities, or lead a sedentary lifestyle, so I'm kind of stumped this year and I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions on what to give up. Among the suggestions: caffeine, sleeping late, neglecting Molly. Robbie suggested picking up a good habit rather than giving up a luxury, and my favorite response was from Jack, who runs a mill in Bollinger Co.: "Don't you think you've given up enough just by living here?"

1 comment:

Molly said...

You should vow to stop neglecting to give your dog frequest treats of Andouille sausage, lightly sauteed with onions, garlic, and a hint of red wine.