Saturday, June 16, 2007

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan

Today is Bloomsday, the day when literary-minded sorts gather in small groups over tables of Guinness and liver and onions for a complete, 18 hour reading of James Joyce's Ulysses. I've never joined in a reading, but during my undergraduate career I traditionally took June 16th off from work, often setting out on a small adventure to honor the wanderings of Stephen Dedalus. We do silly things during college...
One of my favorite lines from the book mirrors Homer's description of Mercury. It reminds me of my own clumsy Homeric translations when I tried, in vain, to maintain meter:
Quick warm sunlight came running from Berkeley Road, swiftly, in slim sandals, along the brightening footpath. Runs, she runs to meet me, a girl with gold hair on the wind. (4.240-245)

So, do something Odyssean today. Or at least raise a pint of Guinness in honor of a curious, maligned writer.

No comments: