Saturday, April 10, 2010

Nesting

It has come to my attention while drinking coffee and stitching a red eye on a smallmouth bass that the chickadees have taken up residence in the wren box. Last spring's fire ran off the chickadees, and warbling house wrens moved in as soon as the smoke cleared. The doves called dibs on one cedar last week, and a robin is nesting in the other one. With the paucity of available nest sites in the area, I rushed to the hardware store to find a second wren box for the two house wrens frantically looking for their hut. There I encountered a horrible assortment of bird houses that look like cats, that look like tractors, or are so fanciful and loaded with geegaws that no normal bird would ever move in. Hooray for a table saw, a drill, and these easy to follow plans on MDC's website. With minimal lumber and a one page PDF of plans from "Woodworking for Wildlife," city dwellers can quickly slap together nesting boxes in an hour before the wrens head out looking for cavities in the neighborhood's Bradford pears.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Birds love nesting in gourds, too - I save mine from my fall displays, then just drill a proper size hole in them, clean out the seeds, and the birds seem to love them.

Allison Vaughn said...

Every time I've tried to make gourd houses, I split the danged thing in half. Gourd houses are cute.

Allison Vaughn said...

Every time I've tried to make gourd houses, I split the danged thing in half. Gourd houses are cute.

Elizabeth said...

The key is to use a drill, I think - use it for the hole, then a couple little drain holes in the bottom, then a couple at the top to run a wire for hanging it. Then I just use a stick to dig out as much from the inside as possible - the birds use the rest for nesting. I'd be happy to give you some dried gourds if you want any - I have lots.

Allison Vaughn said...

How about I take you up on that offer...I'd be honored to have one.