Friday, September 09, 2011

September


It came so fast this year, the perceptibly shorter days, the slower, more deliberate calls of the katydids, the first blooms on the goldenrods. Fall approaches so quickly here, and my growing season surveys are all complete (miraculously), so I'm not allowed to complain. I rue the longer shadows, the yellow green on the leaves, the blooms of cardinal flowers on streambanks, the signs of my birthday month. I'm not fond of the aging process, so I placate my mind with two and three day floats on Ozark rivers. If I don't know what day it is while on a river, my birthday can't find me.

I'm stocked up on instant curries with three vacuum sealed Indian Kitchen Sag Paneers, two Kalaf paneers, one chick pea curry, and four other unknown instant curries whose names I don't even recognize in the downstairs refrigerator. My camp stove is full of fuel. And thus begins the month when I wonder about the choices I've made, if I've accomplished enough during the year, if I'm prepared for online classes with sharpened pencils and for fire season with quick feet. I loathe the aging process, the passage of time, and will duck out of it this year as often as human-made responsibilities will allow.



4 comments:

Daniel said...

I just moved to Columbia for grad school, and came across your blog while looking for gardening information. Glades, oak savannas, and gardening, oh my! Keep the posts coming!

Allison Vaughn said...

That's funny...so you probably know that my badass gardening skills from New Orleans haven't commuted to Columbia, and that the only thing I can manage to grow is great kale out of these claypan soils.
Welcome to Columbia, and to really see what Missouri is supposed to look like, head towards Camdenton to visit Ha Ha Tonka (2 hrs away), where the fire regime has been in place for the past 5,000 years. Pass the Visitor Center and park at the trailhead for the Oak Woodland Natural Area--6 mile hike through awesome, awesome woods, glades, creekbottoms...it's just pristine. That place is the reason why I moved to Missouri.

Daniel said...

Is there really anything more to life than maintaining fire regimes and kale? Added Ha Ha Tonka to the weekend plans for next week!

Allison Vaughn said...

Great choice--after you visit the Natural Area (last burned in 2010), head towards to mansion remains, pass the remains and hike the Quarry trail (trail maps at all trailheads, I think). That area was burned this past fall, and the glade belts are spectacular.