Thursday, April 19, 2012

You're gonna swim in that?

With a landmark birthday fast approaching, I'm trying to figure out where to go to hide from it. I spent several birthdays in my 30s at Orange Beach, Alabama, but decided against it after the oil spill occurred. The US press has been mum about the dead dolphins, the lack of recruitment from avifauna, and other trophic impacts from the oil itself and the toxic slew of chemicals BP dumped into the Gulf (so that the American public didn't have to see pelicans covered in oil tar). See here a disturbing article about how the human skin absorbs oil tar and chemicals when swimmers hit the Gulf waters for recreation. No clue where I'm going for my birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you go floating in one of our pristine Ozark streams & take along a bottle of your beloved Norton for your b-day?

Allison Vaughn said...

Oh, I'll do that too. I spend the whole month celebrating by floating and hiking and backpacking, but need to go somewhere far away, too...