Thursday, August 02, 2012

Streambanks in bloom

I wish I could set up sprinklers in my favorite tract of woods, all 4,000 acres of them. When dry woodland obligates like Helianthus hirsutus wilt, it must be terribly dry. But the flora of Ozark streambanks isn't batting an eye at all this upland drought. Moist, protected growing conditions, perennial wet feet in cool, fast moving streams, the perfect setting for the late summer and early fall wildflowers like cardinal flower, that magnificent tall spike of red that no paint color can ever match. Penthorum sedoides hasn't quite opened yet, and Rudbeckia fulgida (found on fens located on bluffs, usually with Lysimachia and other fen plants) isn't yet in bloom, so there's plenty of time to hit the rivers this month for some terrific floral displays...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This weather makes me want to find a "four foot deep scour hole and stay there for hours at a time" :)

Allison Vaughn said...

Yes, me too! I think I may do just that next week. Jumping into the lukewarm indoor pool after a run on the treadmill just isn't cutting it. And, my terrific mechanic told me it would cost $926to have a working air conditioner in my Honda. Float, float, float....